Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Organizing Your Home??

HoardersImage via Wikipedia
I've been watching "Hoarders Buried Alive" on TV, and it has given me a different perspective on the time I spend sorting the mail etc. If you haven't watched it or aren't familiar with it, it is about people who have the need to collect things without discarding anything. Ultimately they become overwhelmed with stuff that they have accumulated over time. It is beyond belief!

My family doesn't know why I watch it, but it makes me wonder if I may become like that. I mean, I cannot keep up with the junk mail that I receive. I put it aside hoping to get to it, and then in no time I have a pile of papers that I don't know what to do with.

I will not allow myself to become like that, and I've decided that I will use modern technology to help me with this. Don't ask why, but I have two printer/scanner/copier machines, that are sitting collecting dust. (still not a hoarder) I tend to hold onto paper, so I decided to scan the documents onto and external hard drive. It is easier for me to organize them and if I need to see them, I can go straight to the computer (a lot faster to search for a file) all of those statements...shred...goodbye paper pile!

I've created both jpeg and pdf files that I can use to store the documents, and my next project will be to scan and label all of my photos that are getting ruined due to the heat and humidity in my garage.  I know this may sound bizarre, but I live in an area that may get hit by a hurricane. It will be a lot easier for me to evacuate with all of my pictures and important documents since they will take up less space.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...