Saturday, October 23, 2010

Why I don't "Grocery Game"

Example of an American grocery store aisle.Image via Wikipedia
I've had several people ask me if I'm a "Grocery Gamer". For those of you who may not know what that means; the grocery game, is a website that requires you to purchase a membership, to get instructions on the best way to use your coupons with the grocery store sales to get the biggest discount. There was a lot of publicity over the years about it, and how you could save a lot of money on your grocery bill. Now I did use it at one time. I did use it almost 6 years ago, when I was new to coupons. I had my doubts on the membership fee though. I just couldn't get past the fact that I needed to pay a membership fee for this information. It is more of a convenience fee. You may decide that it is worth it, and the fee is not very expensive. You will see that the savings will offset the cost significantly.

One day I was watching the morning news as I got ready for work. They showed another person that had a website that you could use to get the same information. Coupon Mom was her name, and she had an IPhone that had a coupon app! This was an easy name for me to remember, and the App was intriguing. I went to the website it has a lot of information I don't use, but I go there to print out my "List". I know there are a lot of helpful links, I just try to stay focused on printing out my list since I usually don't have a lot of free time to clip and organize my coupons. I usually just have enough time to either print out one list, and gather the coupons for that list, or I can print lists for several stores, and prepare for shopping later in the week.

I've used this site for a few years now, and I upgraded my cell phone to a phone with Apps. You see, I used to download my coupons onto my Kroger card via the website before the new phone. You have to wait at least one hour before you check out to redeem your coupons. With this App, you only have to wait 10 minutes! I can also use my phone to look at the coupons I've downloaded while shopping. This is probably the best financial decision I've made. I don't pay the membership fee to print out a shopping list; and even though I paid for the upgrade on my phone, two trips to the grocery store have already paid for the cost of the phone in savings. I'll have to upload my receipts, this way you will see my actual savings.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...